Here is the thing. Buying bitcoin with credit card used to be quite difficult. But as the number of new companies entering the market increases, so does our options to buy bitcoin with credit card. Navigating in the cryptosphere is getting easier by the day.
In this article, I will help you figure out all of the different methods you can use to buy bitcoins using your credit card. And hey, if you prefer to use a PayPal account instead, I’ve written a quick guide on buying bitcoins with Paypal as well. You should definitely check that out as well.
Properly weigh in your options and choose the one that’s most convenient and cost-effective for you.
How to Buy Bitcoin with Credit Card
Just in case you are completely new to cryptocurrencies, you will need a bitcoin wallet before you buy bitcoins.
Let’s go through all of the websites and services that allow us to buy bitcoin with credit card. I will try my best to go over the pros and cons of each of the websites and also the cost involved in the purchase.
Hopefully, after going through all of the different services, you will have a decent idea of which website is the best option for you.
5 Best Exchanges We Recommend
Coinbase is an American cryptocurrency exchange. The company currently brokers exchanges of bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin and bitcoin cash in over 32 different countries across the world. Coinbase is by far the most legitimizing influence in the crypto space. It was one of the first companies to obtain the BitLicense from the New York State Department of Financial Services.
Coinbase is available in the following countries
If you’re living in one of the following countries, you can use the Coinbase platform to buy bitcoins with your credit card:
A Few Limitations to Keep in Mind
However, due to the nature of how credit cards work, there is a limit on the amount of money you can use at a time to purchase bitcoins. You can use at most $150 or €150 a week to buy bitcoin with credit card on Coinbase.
Some of the Costs to Bear in Mind
Each transaction will cost you a flat rate of 3.99%, which to be honest is one of the lowest you can hope to get. But you should remember that there will be other charges as well such as withdrawal fees or exchange fees if you wish to convert your bitcoins to another cryptocurrency.
Creating a Coinbase Account
Instantly buy bitcoins using credit card.
- First off, you will have to create an account on the Coinbase website.
- After that, you will have to verify your personal information before you can make any purchases on the website.
- After you have verified your account, you will add your credit or debit card to your Coinbase account.
- Once your personal information and your credit card have been verified, you can go ahead and buy bitcoins.
CoinMama is another excellent option if you want to buy bitcoins with a credit card. In fact, if you intend to buy larger quantities of cryptocurrencies in order to take advantage of the lower prices, Coinmama is the perfect option for you.
Coinmama is one of the few cryptocurrency brokers that specialize in letting us buy bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies with our credit cards. After verification, you can buy up to $5,000 worth of bitcoin a day and $20,000 per month. However, if you don’t verify your account, your purchases are limited to $150.
List of Cryptocurrencies You Can Buy on CoinMama
You can use your credit card to buy any of the following cryptocurrencies:
Fees and Costs
Due to the risky nature of accepting credit cards for large purchases of cryptocurrencies, Coinmama has one of the highest fees among services that allow you to buy bitcoins with credit cards. Although your fee can vary depending on the size of the transaction and your location, you can on average expect to pay around 6% per transaction.
- Create an account with Coinmama.
- Verify your account by sending a valid photo ID.
- Click on the ”Buy Bitcoins” at the top of the navigation bar.
- Choose Credit/Debit card as your method of payment.
- When prompted, enter your bitcoin wallet address
- Next, you will need to enter your billing and credit card information.
- Lastly, you will need to verify the transaction by entering either the code you receive as SMS or email.
It is a bit of a long process, but it’s important for security. After 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the state of the network, you should receive your bitcoins in your wallet.
CEX.io is one of the oldest cryptocurrency broker and exchange. It is based out of London and is available in the United States, Europe, UK and a few countries in South America as well. It has one of the most cumbersome verification processes, which can take up to 30 minutes.
Aside from the verification process, which in my opinion is not that big of a deal, it is one of the best options available for buying bitcoins with a credit card. But at the same time, it has some of the highest transaction fees, especially on credit card transactions. Again, transaction fees might vary based on a number of factors, but you should expect to pay an average of 7% per transaction.
List of Cryptocurrencies on CEX.io
The following are some of the cryptocurrencies you can trade on the CEX.io platform:
How to Buy Bitcoins on CEX.io
- Create a new account on the website.
- Verify your account by sending a few documents such as government issued-identification, proof of address, etc.
- Once your account has been verified, you will need to link your credit card with the website and verify it.
- After your card has been verified, you can fund your account using your credit card and purchase any of the cryptocurrencies available on the platform.
Buying Limits and Verification Tiers
As with most other exchanges, there are limits to how many bitcoins you can buy using a credit card. CEX.io has three different tiers of verification with different buy limits for each.
BitPanda is an Austrian cryptocurrency exchange and is only available in Europe. By choosing to limit its services to its home market, BitPanda offers one of the best customer support to its customers.
It has one of the simplest trading platforms, which allows complete beginners to learn about cryptocurrencies in a friendly and welcoming environment. However, due to the strict regulatory environment of the European Union, you will need to provide the company with a valid ID in order to even create an account on BitPanda.
Fees and Buying Limits You Should be Aware Of
Bitpanda has one of the lowest fees when it comes to credit card purchases. You can expect to pay between 3 to 4% for buying bitcoins with your credit card. The amount you will be charged can vary on a number of factors and is not displayed independently, instead, it is added to the final checkout amount.
There are also different levels of verification, which can limit the number of bitcoins you can buy or sell at a time. However, you must have a fully verified account if you wish to use a credit card for your purchases. Also, there is a daily limit of 10,000 Euros.
Listed Cryptocurrencies You Can Buy
How to Buy Bitcoins on Bitpanda
- You will first create an account and verify your email address.
- After that, you will have to verify the account and your identity by sending a couple of documents.
- Once your account has been verified, click on “Buy” in the top navigation bar. Now you will see a page, where you will have to choose the cryptocurrency you want to buy and the method of payment.
- Only verified Visa cards and 3d-secure Mastercards are allowed.
- After this, you will have to confirm the value of your purchase and agree to the exchange rate offered by Bitpanda.
- Before the transaction is complete, you will have to verify the transaction again via either SMS or phone call.
- Once the verification is complete, you will be prompted to enter your credit card information after which you can check the “History” tab to view the details of the purchase.
BitStamp is one of the very few fully licensed cryptocurrency exchanges. It provides more than just credit card bitcoin purchases. In fact, you can even cash out your cryptocurrency investments in the form of gold.
As with all of the licensed brokers, you will be required to send in your personal information in order to fully verify your account. The platform itself is quite intuitive. The simple interface is extremely user-friendly.
How to Buy Bitcoins on Bitstamp
- First off, you will need to create an account on the Bitstamp platform.
- After your account is created, you need to provide documents to prove your identity for verification purposes.
- Once your account has been verified, you will have to deposit funds into your account using your credit card.
- When using a credit card, you will be charged 5% of the transaction by Bitstamp. This will be on top of what the credit card company will charge you.
- Once you’ve made your purchase, you can find your cryptocurrency in your Bitstamp wallet. You can either withdraw the funds or use them to trade on the Bitstamp exchange.
If you really want to buy bitcoin with credit card, you have a number of different exchanges to choose from. As I mentioned earlier, there are a number of options to choose from. I’ve listed the 5 best options in my opinion.
The thing you want to keep in mind is how much you’ll be paying on top of the prevailing exchange rate. Of course, you will have to take into account the amount of money you intend to invest, but your primary concern should be to minimize the cost of the transaction.